Indian Culture By: Amanda Pamphile

Indian culture is “Sa Prathama Sanskrati Vishvavara,” which means the first, supreme culture of the world. At first, many people did not accept the Indian culture because it did not follow the European or Western ways of life, but soon realized how beautiful the culture was.
India is a very diverse country, mainly because of the large population. There are many languages spoken: 41% of the country speaks Hindi, while the other 59% speak a wide variety of other languages including Bengali, Telugu, and Marathi. About 84% practice Hinduism while 13% are Islamic and the remainder  includes groups such as Buddhists and Jains.
Indian food includes various curries and spices such as ginger, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, and dried hot peppers. While most of the Hindus in India are vegetarian,  lamb and chicken are popular among the non-vegetarians.  In India, people commonly eat with their fingers, or dip bread in different foods.
For clothes, women wear beautiful silk saris. The sari is the national dress for the women of South Asia.  To put on a sari, you wrap one end of the sari around the waist and drape the other end on the shoulder. Men on the other hand, wear dhotis. A dhoti is a cloth that covers their legs and waist, where it is then knotted. Kurtas are also popular within men’s fashion in India. It is a loose shirt that goes down to the knees.
Finally, important Indian holidays include Diwali and Holi. Diwali, also called the festival of lights, is said to be the largest and most important holiday in India. Additionally, Holi is a spring festival, which is when they spray colors on each other, sing, and dance. A ritual is also performed by gathering around a fire and singing. This ritual is said to symbolize the difference between good and evil. In short, the Indian culture is very diverse and beautiful in many ways.

Persian WomanPersian Guy

Leave a Reply